- What's a Cessation charge?
- How much is it?
- When do Cessation charges apply?
- Does it apply when moving home or office?
- Is there a charge for cancelling telephone services?
- Why does my Account summary say the charge is Active?
1. What's a Cessation charge?
It's a charge applied by BT Wholesale (the suppliers of our broadband network) to cover the cost of the work required to remove broadband from a telephone line.[Back to top]
3. How much is it?
The current charge is £25 (inc. VAT)
The Cessation charge may change if BT Wholesale adjust their pricing. We'll email all our broadband customers if this happens.[Back to top]
4. When do Cessation charges apply?
The charge can apply to any customer who has a broadband cease placed on their line.
Generally, the main reasons for broadband ceases are:
- A broadband account is cancelled (without switching providers)
- Switching to a service that is not supplied via the BT Wholesale network
- The telephone line used to provide broadband is cut off
Cessation charges don't apply if:
- You switch to a service that's part of the BT Wholesale network
5. Does it apply when moving home or office?
Technically it does, but it's covered in the cost of moving.
In most cases, there's no charge to move property. See our moving guide for more information.[Back to top]
6. Is there a charge for cancelling telephone services?
No, it doesn't cost anything to cancel a telephone service or switch telephone providers.
If changes to a telephone service cause a broadband cease (see question 4), Cessation charges will apply.
7. Why does my Account summary say the charge is 'Active'?
This means that the charge applies to your current broadband service. It would only ever be taken if your broadband line was ceased.
If the Cessation charge changes, we'll show the old charges for reference (marked as nullified).[Back to top]
Can't find what you're looking for?
If we've not been able to address your query through a support article please contact Customer support for further assistance.
Having problems with your broadband connection?
Use our Broadband troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the problem.