- What are call features?
- How can I add or remove Home Phone call features?
- What call features are available and how much do they cost?
- How do I use call features?
- What can I do if there's a problem?
1. What are call features?
Call features are handy services you can add to your John Lewis Home Phone account, to personalise your service. Some features are inclusive, others have a monthly charge or a per-use charge.
2. How can I add or remove Home Phone call features?
In most cases, it'll take 1 working day to add or remove a call feature, but in some cases it can take up to 3 working days.
3. What call features are available and how much do they cost?
|Call features||Monthly cost||Single use cost1||Available in call features bundle?|
|1471 Call Return||-||10.00p (plus the cost of the call if chargeable)||No|
|Voicemail Extra||£3.00 per month||-||No|
|Reminder Call||£3.00 per month||15.00p||Yes|
|Call Waiting||£3.00 per month||-||Yes|
|Call Divert||£3.00 per month||-||Yes|
|Ring Back||£3.00 per month||10.00p||Yes|
|Anonymous Call Reject||£4.00 per month||-||No|
|Call barring - Premium rate||£3.00 per month||-||Yes (cannot be bundled with Call barring - Premium rate and international)|
|Call barring - Premium rate and international||£3.00 per month||-||Yes (cannot be bundled with Call barring - Premium rate)|
- Single use cost doesn't include call charges (where applicable).
- Although Voicemail (1571) is inclusive, you'll need to add it via the Phone features section of the Home Phone control panel before you can use it.
Choose 2 or more qualifying call features (as shown above) to create a bundle and save money.
|How many features chosen?||Monthly cost||Monthly saving|
|2 or more||£6.00||up to £9.00|
4. How do I use call features?
Click on the call feature you want to see instructions for:
- Ring Back
- Call Waiting
- Caller Display
- Reminder Call
- Anonymous Call Reject
- Call Divert
- Voicemail (1571)
- Voicemail Extra
1471 is a feature that's included with all our phone packages. Use it to find out the telephone number of the last person who called you (unless the number was withheld, unavailable or came from a switchboard extension). Please note, there is a 10.00p charge to return the call via 1471 (plus the cost of the call if chargeable).
How to use 1471
|Hear the number of the last person to call you||Dial 1471|
|Return the call||Dial 3|
|Withhold your number when making calls||Dial 141 followed by the number you want to call|
|Clear the last number stored by 1471||
Get your phone to ring when a busy number becomes available. Ring Back will keep trying a busy number for up to 45 minutes.
You can pay £3.00 per month for unlimited use of the Ring Back feature, otherwise it'll cost 10.00p each time you use it.
How to use Ring Back
|Set up a Ring Back||
|Answer a Ring Back||Pick up your handset when you hear the special Ring Back tone|
|Check a Ring Back||Dial * # 37 #|
|Cancel a Ring Back||Dial # 37 #|
Ring Back doesn't work with international or (most) switchboard numbers.
When you're on a call, Call Waiting let's you know when others are trying to call.
You'll hear a beep when someone is trying to get through to you while you're on the phone. It's up to you whether or not to take the call.
How to use Call Waiting
|Switch on Call Waiting||Dial * 43 #|
|Switch to the second call||Press RECALL|
|Return to the first call||Press RECALL|
|Check if Call Waiting is on||Dial * # 43 #|
|Switch off Call Waiting||Dial # 43 #|
Caller Display shows you the number of the person calling, so you can decide whether to answer the call or let the caller leave a message.
There are no instructions for using this service; all you need is a handset that's compatible with Caller Display (Also known as Caller ID).
Turn your house phone into an alarm clock - your phone will ring at whatever time you set a reminder for.
Reminder Call costs £3.00 per month for unlimited use, otherwise it'll cost 15.00p each time you use it.
How to use Reminder Call
|Set a reminder||Dial * 55 * (Time) #
Set the time in 24 hour clock format (e.g. 7.30am is 0730 and 6:30pm is 1830)
|Cancel the reminder||Dial # 55 #|
|Check the time of your next reminder||Dial * # 55 #|
Anonymous Call Reject
If a caller withholds their number so that you can't tell what number they called from, they won't be able to get through to you. They'll only get through if they reveal their number.
If the incoming number is 'unavailable' (i.e. the caller has not made any attempt to withhold their number) calls will get through. This can happen in a number of cases (e.g. if the incoming call is made from an overseas provider).
How to use Anonymous Call Reject
|Block withheld calls||Dial * 2 2 7 #|
|Allow withheld calls||Dial # 2 2 7 #|
|Check if this feature is active||* # 2 2 7 #|
Divert your calls to any UK landline, mobile, and most international destinations.
When this feature is used, you'll be charged for the diverted part of each call where applicable (e.g. the cost of calling the number you're diverting to from your line).
How to use Call Divert
|Set up Call Divert||Dial * (Code) * (Number to divert to) #|
|Check Call Divert||Dial * # (Code) #|
|Cancel Call Divert||Dial # (Code) #|
There are 3 codes you can use:
- 21 - Divert all calls
- 61 - Divert calls that aren't answered within 15 seconds
- 67 - Divert calls when your line is engaged
Whether you're away from home or on another call, Voicemail makes sure you don't miss a call.
This is an inclusive feature but it's not switched on as standard. If you want to use it, you'll need to add it via the Home Phone control panel.
How to use Voicemail (1571)
|Listen to your new messages||Pick up the phone. You'll be alerted that you've got new messages by a stuttering tone|
|Access your messages||Dial 1571|
Voicemail Extra is an advanced version of Voicemail (1571). As well as taking messages, it allows you to:
- Record your own greeting message
- Choose the number of rings before a call is answered
- Check your messages from any phone (protected by PIN, see below)
- Link to your mobile and get SMS alerts when new messages are left
- Store up to 30 messages for 30 days (each up to 5 minutes long)
- Identify up to 3 callers who have hung up without leaving a message (as long they've not withheld their number)
About your PIN number
- To check your messages from another phone, you'll need to set a remote access PIN, follow the steps below to do this
- If you ever forget your PIN, use the same steps to change it - as long as this is done from your own line you don't need to know the old PIN
How to use Voicemail Extra
|Access the Voicemail Extra main menu||Dial 1571 from your own phone|
|Check your messages||
|Record your own greeting message||
|Set or change your remote access PIN||
|Check your messages from another phone||
|Link your mobile number||
|Remove or change your linked mobile number||
|Check your messages from a linked mobile||
5. What can I do if there's a problem?
- Check the Call features section on your Home Phone control panel and make sure the feature you're having problems with is part of your package. All features take 1 working day to add (in some cases it can take up to 3) so keep this in mind if you've only added it recently
- Unplug everything connected to your telephone line, connect a working corded caller display phone
to your master socket (try each socket in turn if you can't find the master socket) and try again
- If the call feature still doesn't work: call us or report the problem using Contact us.
- If the call feature works: Your telephone line is ok, but there's something wrong with your wiring, filters or equipment. To find the problem, plug things back in one at a time. Each time you plug something in, check to see if the call feature still work
Got a problem with your phone?
Report a problem with your service. It's faster by text.
For full details of our current issues or any maintenance work that could be affecting your service please visit our Service Status site.
Can't find what you're looking for?
If we've not been able to address your query through a support article please contact Customer support for further assistance.